Monday, February 23, 2015

Alphabet of the week: Letter A


 
 
We finished our letter A study 2 weeks back and I finally had the time to post about it today. So much things to do yet so little time. As usual we started off with the reading of the letter A book by thisreadingmama.com. Then I pulled out the tactile letter for Allen to trace with his fingers. The Montessori way of tactile learning is an excellent way to teach letters recognition and preparation for writing. I got mine from ideal school supply which is cheaper than the traditional montessori sandpaper letters. The cards are sturdy so they should be able to last well and so far both my boys love them.
 


 
 
As for big brother, we used kumon wipe-off alphabet flashcards to reinforce the writing.

 
I printed this handwriting worksheet for Allen, he tried his best to trace 2 to 3 letters and started to scribble after that. I am more than happy to see him starting to hold a pencil or marker now:)
 
 
The sightword of the week is 'at'. This is big brother doing the sightword maze worksheet. Easy peasy. Sometimes Allen will ask to try it out, then I will let him at a go.

 

 
Allen working on the tracer page and drawing the apples.

 
For number recognition 1 to 20, instead of the usual marker coloring, I pulled out our sorting pie and used the tongs and apples. Allen gets to practice his fine motor skills and places an apple at the number when I randomly called it out. This sorting pie is also a great hit among homeschoolers. And as usual, I got them from the trusty amazon online.
 


 
 
Allen and I started on the Montessori maths books that I purchased from taobao.com. Dirt cheap for the books but the shipping can kill!

 
Upper case and lower case alphabets matching using hooked on phonics flashcards.

 
And beginning sounds matching as well. OKOK! I admit, I spend a LOT! on the teaching materials. At least it's for their education right? So is worth it man, really, the difference in them is so huge that my husband also think that they are worth the money investment. HEHEHE.
 

 
(Pardon the chocolate stain on Aidan's mouth) Both of them finished their sightword search.

 
Ok, enough of the worksheets, now to the fun portion. Letter A for apples! This is a apple sequencing puzzle which I downloaded from here. Good for introducing the 'whole' concept.


 
And this is Aidan sequencing the apple cards according to size and labelling them. Picture cards are downloaded from confessionsofahomeschooler blog.

 
For counting, I printed this apple tree from confessionsofahomeschooler blog and the boys will draw a number and to count and place the correct number of apples onto the tree. For more budget wise, you can just draw your own tree. I am plain lazy that's y.

 
Next up is the apple life cycle 3 parts cards which I printed from helpfulgarden blog. Do check her out, as she has tons of amazing free Montessori printables.
 
 
And the parts of the apple puzzle. Laminated it so I can chuck it aside and pull them out for revision.

 
Then, we did a little craft and revised the apple parts and life cycle.


 

 
This worksheets for actually both for little brother, but Big brother saw it on the table and just started to work on it along with Allen.

 
Rhyming cut and paste.
 
 
A is for asia. I pulled out our leapfrog world map and talked to Aidan about Asia... He listen till blur blur and just keep talking about the airplane. I even went to the library to borrow a book on our hometown, Singapore. Tried to read it to him, but he is not interested at all and ran away... Sad, chuck the map and book back on shelf... Maybe next time...

 
This is Allen second try on his name writing worksheet. If you wanna me to help you customize it to your child's name, just drop me a comment below and I will get to it asap. As you can see, Allen's handwriting still has a long way to go, well, at least he can recognizes his name well and can spell it out orally. Jiayou!
 
And this concludes our letter A week. Luckily, we had our Chinese new year celebration last week,  we got very slack in our homeschool so it will be a super short and sweet post.
 
Thanks for dropping by
XOXO
Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment